Chinese New Year starts February 5th and is celebrated throughout the whole of China, with all local stores closing as people celebrate with their families and loves ones.
The most wonderful thing about looking into other cultures, is learning about their traditions. We spoke with some of our lovely Chinese visitors from Titicaca and Nanhu Travel – they gave us some top tips for celebrating the New Year;
How to bring luck;
- Give gifts of money in red envelopes
- Eat fish on New Years day, fish will bring prosperity for the year ahead
- Set off fireworks to ward off evil spirits
Avoiding that bad luck;
- Do not sweep on New Years day, as you may sweep away all of your luck
- Do not break glass or cry as these are bad omens
- Do not give gifts with unlucky colours, words or numbers, such as white and the number 4!
Here in Inverness a Chinese New Year Celebration will take place on February 18th with a street parade performed by Yee's Hung Ga Kung Fu Academy starting at 12.00 till 15.00
Check their website for further details or changes
Xin Nain Kuai Lee!